Almost every morning before the bus comes, our kids play tree tag. There are three trees that make a triangle that serve as the bases. The kids have learned to take and place their backpacks in a line (because of course that saves your place) and then go and play. As more kids come they just join right in. There is never a fight that so and so can't play, or that someone is playing unfairly. In fact it is just the opposite. When one of the little girls gets tagged and is it for a long time, one of the older boys will the little ones get them. Bridger will even say, "just touch me and you will not have to be it any more." The kids don't ask if they can play because every one can. It is wonderful. As I was watching this go on this morning I was think about how as adults we should try to be a little more like the kids and just play tree tag. We don't have to know each other, but by interacting they are getting to know each other better. They are much more Christ-like then most adults I know. They are sharing kindness and love even though they don't realize it. I am sure that none of these children are even of the same religion, but none of that matters at this age. It is wonderful.
On a side note... I have noticed that as the kids get older (like the 8-9 year old kids) they tend to start to be a little more sly at getting something they think is better. I am not sure why getting on the bus first is such a big deal because I think my kids sit in the same seat everyday no matter when they get in line, but I think that it is the idea of being first. Well, today I noticed that one of those older boys was bringing his backpack to put in line and he looked around to see if the other kids were watching (which they were all to busy playing tree tag) and he realized that they weren't and so he nonchalantly took and dropped his bag at the beginning of the line. Does it really matter?! No, but that is what happens when we get past that age when we are held accountable for our actions. Has he witnessed his parents get ahead that way, or maybe a brother or sister. Who knows, but he learned that behavior.
I guess that means that I really need to make sure that I am being a better teacher especially in those time when I think no one is looking.
No comments:
Post a Comment