Ok, we made it to Pennsylvania and I finally have internet. I have tons of fun pictures and events to post about, but not tonight. But I will tell you of some events that have happened.
This is how you know that you are not in Utah anymore:
Event 1: I have been looking for an electric wheat grinder and I didn't buy one before we left Utah. So, Matt has been wanting wheat bread and is tired of grinding it with our small hand grinder and so I went to a kitchen store out here and this is what happened....
I asked them if they had a wheat grinder and the lady got a puzzled look on her face and said "does it do anything else?" I said "Well, it grinds all sorts of grains." She asked, "WHY?" So, I so politely said, "So I can make wheat bread." She looked at me like I was the strangest person ever. She then took us over to the part of the store that had spoons, spatulas, and egg cuters. She said, "If we have anything like that I am sure you will find it here." Now I am looking puzzled and I said, "Well it is more like the size of a coffee maker." She quickly replied, "Oh it is that big, we for sure don't have anything like that. But maybe you could just go buy wheat flour." HMMM
Event 2: Matt was given at work a thermos and he said, "Do you have hot chocolate outside the mines?" Apparently he was laughed at and then they said, "No it is for your coffee." Well, the Utah mines have both hot chocolate and coffee.
Event 3: Hanging on lines by the city parks are what look to be kegs. Since Matt nor I knew why someone would hang a keg up, he asked a co-worker. They laughed and said that it is a game. Two teams have fire hoses and they spray them at the container to see who can get it to the other side. They said that they are usually drunk or have been drinking when they do it. They couldn't believe that it wasn't normal to see that. We couldn't believe that it might be normal out here.
Event 4: Fireflies....They are wonderful and our kids love to catch them. They are actually a really slow bug. Kind of easy to catch. Still cool.
Event 5: People keep giving me directions and they always say go up the hill. Really have they not looked around. Everywhere is a hill. AND which way is UP???
Event 6: The garbage collectors are a little behind the times. They still hand pick up all of the garbage. They don't have the automatic truck that reaches out and grabs the can. On the same note we have to have our own cans and I hate taking out the garbage because we have a group of wild cats that knock it over and scatter it everywhere. UGH.
Event 7: Matt met himself a real hillbilly. Matt had to deal with him everyday for two weeks. I told him not to feed him because we didn't need him following him home. This guy would follow Matt to the bathroom, outside, and would stay right by him. Matt (who ususally can deal with anyone) was ready to scream and pull out the last of his hair.
During this training Matt was told that Pennsylvania had the best "mountains" to ride motorcycles on because they had such steep inclines. He was then told that they are better than Utah since there is only hills out there and too much catus???!! Ya some people are a little out there.
Even though we are not in Utah anymore we are still enjoying our time. Things are just different and that is just how it is. We have to drive just over 20 minutes to get to our wardhouse. We have just over 100 people in our ward. By moving in we added almost 5% to the ward. Isn't that funny?! Our temple is the Washington DC Temple. It is somewhere around four hours away. Not sure yet. It will be a lot tougher to go to the temple, but we will still make it. (hopefully fingers crossed;)
We have met some wonderful people. We have had a few get togethers with great friends, seen BIG fireworks over the Monogahela River, went to the Hill Cumorah Pageant, and a few other things. We are staying busy and still unpacking. The boxes here are multiplying like rabbits, and when you open one the stuff inside multiplies too. We are glad we made it and will have pictures and stories to come.
1 comment:
I'm glad you're liking your new place. It gives me hope that I can survive moving to a strangely wonderful new place!! :)
Post a Comment