Saturday, January 3, 2009

I love you, Grandma Nor

So, in my post about Thanksgiving I had said that we were able to visit all of our grandparents and our parents. Well, I didn't realize what a blessing that was. I had also said that I wished that I could have gotten a picture with my Grandma Nor, and I wished I would have. (This is a long post but I needed to do it)
I finished my last final online Friday, December 19, at 2:00 a.m. while my kids slept. That morning at 3:00 my Grandma Nor was taken to the hospital. My Dad came up to our house later that day and told me what was happening. I was torn. I really wanted to go and see her, but I was so tired. I selfishly prayed Saturday and Sunday that if all was well we would make it down on Monday. So, Monday came and she was still in the hospital. We made it down there in a snow storm by 5:00 p.m. She didn't look the best that night, but was sleeping. I told her how much I loved her and that I would see her in the morning. Matt, the kids, and I stayed there until 9:00 that night. I woke up to my Dad calling saying that she wasn't doing good at all that morning. I went out to the hospital at 8:00 and chased down my Aunt that had taken off since they wanted to give Grandma Nor a blessing. After the blessing I just sat there with many of my family. Her eyes had been wide open since 4:00 that morning.
As I watched her I could tell that she was in so much pain. They even gave her some pain medicine which wasn't helping. As I sat there watching her and holding her hand I thought about how selfish I was for praying for her to wait for me to get there. I also thought about the reunion she was going to have with her husband who died 43 years prior in December. I thought about her seeing her daughter that had passed 31 years prior and about her grandson that passed 6 years ago this January. She had also been looking for her grandparents and parents for quite some time. When she would take off walking she would be looking for her family that had passed. At 12:30 on Tuesday Decemeber 23, most of the family had left for a break. Some of my aunts had just gone down the hall in the hospital and some of the other family had left to take care of a few things. One of my aunts left to go and get the nurse to give her some more medicine, but my Dad, my Aunt Darla and I were in the room and I knew what I needed to say. I told my Grandma that I loved her and that it was ok to go. I talked to her about all of the people that were waiting to see her. As I moved back my Aunt Darla started to rub her cheek and told her the same things. She told her that we loved her, but she just needed to go to sleep and that her body was tired. My Grandma closed her mouth and focused in on us. My Aunt Penny came in and then went running out to get the rest of the family. By then she had taken three breaths and then she went peacefully.
It is hard to write about this, but I don't want to forget.
So, we got home that night at 12:30 in the morning on Christmas Eve (which Matt ran the truck out of gas on the way home). Then we had Christmas at our house and then went back to Beaver for the viewing and the funeral. But we missed the viewing because it took us five hours to get there due to the one errand and the snow.
I am thankful for Matt, because he allowed me to spend the time that I needed to at the hospital. He brought the kids out about 40 minutes before my Grandma passed and then took them with him. Jacoy wanted to keep checking on Grandma Nor, but Bridger just doesn't quite understand.
This was also the first time that Matt got to see all of my Dad's side of the family and it was all at once. There was only one cousin missing and his wife because she was due five days later with their first baby and he is in school in Texas. Then another cousin didn't bring his daughter and other than that the whole family was all there.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. At the same time we are happy for her. We had a similar experience with Brion's Grandpa about 10 years ago. Only we weren't as close as you seemed to have been. I hope you mourn well and heal well.